Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable) - Steam
I see the error "Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)" when launching a game through Steam. What can I do?
This error is seen when a game file is missing or is being blocked by another program. Here are some troubleshooting steps to help resolve the error.
Step 1 - Check your anti-virus software
This error is most commonly seen when your anti-virus software mistakenly reports game files as malicious and quarantines them.
There are a couple of ways to resolve this:
- within the anti-virus software look for game files that have been reported and mark them as safe
- set your anti-virus software to Game Mode
- have the anti-virus software exclude that game folder when it scans for malicious content. Here's how to do that with popular anti-virus software.
You should also temporarily uninstall any applications listed in our Programs Which May Interfere with Steam.
Step 2 - Verify Game Files
If it's not caused by anti-virus software, the issue could be a corrupted file or failed download. To make sure you have all the files needed, restart your PC and then verify your game files. You can easily do that from your Steam Settings panel.
Step 3 - Submit a Steam Support ticket
If you've completed Steps 1 and 2 and are still seeing this error, please submit a ticket to Steam Support.
We'll ask you for the following, so go ahead and include them with your ticket:
- An uncropped screenshot of the error
- An MSinfo (PC) or System Profiler (Mac) report.
- A list of the programs that you have removed per the Programs Which May Interfere with Steam article.
Our goal is to get you playing your games, so we'll review your information and suggest additional troubleshooting steps.
NOTE: THIS ARTICLE IS FROM STEAM SUPPORT